An Eye on Two Grand Productions - Part 2Born Richthe Name:
To be honest I’m not too fond of the current English or Chinese name but I’ve never seen a series go through so many names and there’s even a story to it.
English Tentative titles:
The Grand Entrepreneurs, Gold-Plated Family, The Crime Inducing Effects of Money, Money Leads to Crime, Roots of Evil, The Door of Wealth
Chinese Tentative titles:
Now the original name was actually suppose to be 金钱诱罪 or Roots of Evil. How it ended up being Born Rich or 富贵门 was due to the amount of bad luck it brought to the cast. It’s almost like the title: Macbeth…. There’s just a huge curse to it that the producers simply changed the name for good luck. Hence I’m curious to see what the series it about that it had to have such a dark title to it.the Background:
When the series was first said to be filmed, it was rumored that it would be based on the richest family in Hong Kong. It was then said that the family would sue if TVB did that hence TVB clarified that it has nothing to do with them. Did TVB really adhere to there promise?the Cast:
While the cast members lack a lot of youth but they are all grand actors and actresses.Ray Lui
: (grand actor in Mainland market & early TVB actor who has mesmerized dozens of housewives. He was in the Bund)Gallen Lo
: (TVB king: won many best actor awards, grand actor in Mainland market, singer, 90’s TVB Siu Sung) It’s Gallen Lo! I adore watching his series! Plus, he is In Love With TVB 2008 Most Welcomed Back Actor (based on poll results).Joe Ma
(TVB 90s siu sung) :
gasp left him blank (thanks to hyn5 for noticing) -- I dont have a deep impression of him probably because I havent watched a lot of his series, until WESFOTSW. I actually found his character to be interesting and I think Joe suits the villainous type of roles. I wonder how his chemistry with Anita will be?Anita Yuen
: (grand actress in Mainland market, early TVB actress, movie actress, last scene in Love Game) a wonderful actress and she’s funny on game shows. She has a real era of being a “first sister” as she is professional is known to be very straightforward and demanding.Kenix Kwok
: (grand actress in Mainland market, 90’s TVB fa dan, always been a hot favourite for TVB best actress)..I miss Kenix!! Can’t wait to see her again!Jamie Chik
: (TVB 80’s Fa Dan) When she left she portrayed young teenage girls...now that she's back she's portraying a mother sort of role. I wonder what it'll be like?Nancy Sit
: (The 5th princess of the “7 Princesses” , TVB’s elderly sister: Ka Yin jie, actress in Mainland/Singapore/Taiwan, singer, producer) excited to see Nancy in another series!Benz Hui Siu Hung
: okay…everyone knows who he is and adores him! I love this guy! He’s a great actor even if he is the supporting actor. If I remember correctly he has won Astro’s Best Supporting Actor.Angelina Lo Yuen Yan
: commonly remembered as Ah Wong’s mom. Another great supporting actress!Kenneth Ma
(TVB Siu Sung, TVB Most Improved Actor) ..Ma MING!!! Teheee~ Sharon Chan
(TVB Fa Dan) Sharon is quite amusing on variety shows! Whenever I happen to watch her series though, it happens that she's the villain ~ poor girl. But in real life she's a sweetie!!Vincent Wong
(singer, actor in War of In-Laws II)
(winner of Strictly Come Dancing II) ..its Grace first series and she already plays Joe's wife! how weird!! lol she seems like a sweet girl so i'd like to see how she acts
Lai Siu Ming:
(movie actor veteran)…it’s been such a long time since I’ve seen him! Welcome back!
Fung So Bor:
(1st princess of the “7 princesses”, sister of Fung Bo Bo)
Wu Fung :
(veteran of TVB: Sau Gor, god father of many grand actors I.e Andy Lau, Leon Lai etc.)…strange fact about him is that in real life he stutters when he talks but you wouldn’t notice it when we see him in shows because once you give him a script and a rhythm he talks normally.
- This series has so many return stars, such as Jamie Chik, Ray Lui, Kenix Kwok and Lai Yiu Ming. It is also Gallen Lo, Anita Yuen and Nancy Sit’s second series since returning. In other words, it is a really refreshing cast! Not many of them cooperated together before, so I’m excited to see how it works out.
- Kenix Kwok commented that this is her first series in which she has had so many kissing scenes. Haha in other words Kenix has never had to do so many kisses in a series before. Hopefully they don’t overdo it!
- It has been 20 years since Jamie Chik and Ray Lui played a pair since Snowy Fox on A Mountain. They were a golden pairing back then, and this time they play husband and wife again. I quite like Jamie and Ray in the interviews and I hope they still have good chemistry in the series.
- Kenix Kwok had once said that she wanted to work with Nancy Sit but thought she lost the opportunity when A Kindred Spirit ended(info credits to Michelle Beloved). She’s happy to know she gets the chance to cooperate with her. The funny thing is, aren’t they like partial family anyways? I remember in the news that Nancy held a banquet to “kei” her brothers which included: Frankie Lam, Louis Yuen, Michael Tse, Timmy Hung and Johnny Tang. In other words she became their god sister since the early 2000s. The Virtues of Harmony cast has always been very close, hence I remember for fun Frankie and Kenix also did a mini Chinese wedding ceremony with the VOH cast. In which then Kenix served tea to her “mother in-law”.
- Due the believed curse of the series name, a lot of terrible things have happened amongst the cast while filming. For example, Gallen Lo for some reason had diarrhoea for a few days, an expensive boat that was used for filming suddenly sunk into the ocean. The one that caused the most commotion though was Nancy Sit’s illness which resulted in a lot of change to the script. She was admitted to the hospital three times and was in a coma for over 10 hours. To find out more on what happened to her, visit Nancy Sit Fan Site. Anyways as a result of this, she originally had another 200 scenes to film but it was reduced to 100. In other words her original scenes were said to have been given to Anita Yuen to carry out. As well since she had to rest, she didn’t join the cast to film in Shabah, Malaysia. What the film crew did was found a Nancy look-a-like to take her place. Apparently the cast thinks this substitute really looks like Nancy Sit, so I’m curious to see what she looks like. As well, after going through so much trauma, it seemed to have brought the cast closer. Especially the ones who are part of the main family, in interviews they look so warm and touching. I’m anticipating to see how the family chemistry works out
- Another wealthy family, hence I’m excited to see the sceneries. From pictures the locations they filmed at are really nice and sunny! So hopefully to see some gorgeous locations!
- Gallen Lo is a villain! I’m excited to see how it’ll be like. He’s always been the big brother in my heart and I really love him being one, yet being a villain is interesting. Apparently this villain struggles to decide if he wants family or wealth. And I love watching Gallen act, hence I anticipate his performance!
For those of you who would like to watch the filming of Born Rich
, the sales presentation and the ending celebration, my most recommended English sites are :
Labels: 2009, Anita Yuen, Born Rich, Gallen Lo, Jamie Chik, Kenix Kwok, Kenneth Ma, Nancy Sit, Ray Lui, Sharon Chan, TVB
| 12:14 a.m.